The Russell Ranch

Mark 'n Di

Mark 'n Di

Friday, February 12, 2010

Weekend in Cape Girardeau

Hello to y'all from Missouri! It is really lovely to be here with so many friends and my lovely daughter and her family. Rev. Paul Pierpoint held the Preachers' Meeting for the Pilgrim Nazarenes, and did a wonderful job. We had great fun one evening, after the service, reminiscing about our old stomping grounds...I was at a little Bible school in the Adirondacks and he was pastoring a Pilgrim Holiness church in the area. We know a lot of the same people and my mom and I attended a lot of the PH revivals, rallies, camps, etc. I'm so glad I'm a part of the family of God!

We had flight cancellations twice for our trip up here ~ but we persevered! Southwest Airlines only has a few direct flights, and we couldn't access any of them. Our first flight (Tuesday night)was supposed to go through Chicago and the Chicago leg was cancelled; so we booked another flight through Baltimore. Before we went to bed that night, we were notified that the Baltimore leg had been cancelled. So we booked another flight ~ through Chicago again, leaving Tampa @ 9:35 Wednesday morning. And, of course, we didn't "plan ahead" for leaving the house early enough for rush hour traffic... We checked our bags in "late" and ran for the gate. We were the last ones on! The old adrenalin was pumping ~ is that the same as a workout? If it isn't, it should be! We made our connection in Chicago, but Mark HAD to make a phone call, so I boarded without him. I went to the back of the plane where I could get two seats beside each other and guarded the second seat like a terrier! I saw Mark board and stood up and waved. He looked right at me and nodded his head, so I sat back down. Next thing I know, he has disappeared! Sat somewhere else! I am not pleased ~ and the next person that asks about the seat next to me is a hulking mass of humanity. So on one side I have a large man wearing sunglasses who is deaf and on the other side of me is a HUGE man who barely fits in the seat. I am scrunched ~ and ticked! Good thing this flight is only 45 minutes! Mark says later he never saw me...I am wearing red, and who else on that plane even looks remotely like me? Just sayin' ...

Next thing is to get a car in St. Louis and head to Cape. In the car lot, I make and throw a snowball! And I make a second one and take aim for Mark, who doesn't see the humor ~ at all. The car is a KIA, and we actually "put in on" and took off down the road. All the bumps and seams in the road were felt down that 100-mile stretch. Groan!

One note of interest ~ we drove by our old house to see if there had been improvements or deterioration. I had mixed feelings about even driving by, but Mark had no hesitation, so a trip down Inverness (memory) Lane was made. We saw: new windows, white vertical siding on the porch, basement cement blocks painted white, barn windows all boarded up with white boards, and a hot tub in the back yard. Well, good. They're taking care of the place ~ now can we head for Cape?

No comments:

Post a Comment